BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-Year Route) FAQ

Open Days

BA (Hons) with Foundation Year FAQ

If you know that conservatoire study is for you, but you don’t think that you’ll meet the academic or musical entry requirements, our four-year courses are an excellent opportunity to start studying your degree while you focus on your musical development.

An extra year of access to our creative and collaborative environment, excellent facilities, expert staff and rich performance opportunities will build your confidence as a conservatoire musician.

Read through our BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course) FAQ below to find out more about what our BA (Hons) with Foundation Year degrees offer and how they might benefit you.

How do I apply for a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course)?

You can apply for a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course) as standard through UCAS / UCAS Conservatoires, dependent on your course.

If you are unsure whether you should apply for a standard three-year BA (Hons) or four-year BA (Hons) with Foundation Year, we recommend that you apply for the standard three-year BA (Hons) course.

If at your audition our tutors think you would be better suited to the four-year BA (Hons) with Foundation Year option, our Admissions team will then help you alter your application and you would not need to formally apply or audition again.

Is Student Finance available for BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year courses)?

Yes, if you apply to study a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course), you are able to apply for a loan from the Student Loans Company to cover both the tuition fees and maintenance costs for your four years of study, subject to the normal eligibility requirements, and previous study rules. 

For further information about Tuition Fees, visit our dedicated Fees & Funding page.

What are the tuition fees for a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course)?

Tuition fees for those eligible to pay Home fees are £9,250 per academic year for students starting their study in 2022/23. This is the same tuition fee as Years One to Three of a three-year BA (Hons) degree.

These fees may be subject to government-approved increases in future years.

Tuition fees for International students are listed on our International pages.

Is a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course) the same as a Foundation Degree?

No, a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course) and a Foundation Degree are not the same thing.

A BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course) is an extra year of study designed to get students up to the level of a standard three-year BA (Hons). It is designed for students who have the ability to take a standard three-year BA (Hons) degree but do not meet the academic or musical entry requirements.

A Foundation Degree (FdA) is a qualification which is equivalent in level to the first two-years of a university course.

We currently offer Foundation Degrees in:

Applicants who will require a Student Visa to study in the UK are not eligible to apply for either of our Foundation Degrees, however they can apply for our BA (Hons) with Foundation Year.

How is a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course) structured and what will I be studying?

The Foundation Year of a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course) is split into four areas:

  • Specialist Study: one-to-one tuition and group study / ensemble work in your specialism.
  • Aural and Theory: Develop your aural and music theory skills.
  • Musicianship Skills: Further theory tuition or if you’ve achieved Grade 5 Theory prior to the course starting you can choose from a range of subjects such as Composition, Creative Performance Techniques, or Keyboard Skills.
  • Contextual Studies: Develop your musicology, repertoire and composition, and creative performance skills.

On successful completion of the Foundation Year you will be well prepared to continue onto the first year of your chosen BA (Hons) course.

What are the entry requirements for a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course)

Academic Entry Requirements:

64 UCAS tariff points from Level 3 studies, or equivalent, which normally include A Level Music or a BTEC Extended Diploma in a Music-related subject, and can include music grade exams.

GCSE English Language grade C or above and two additional GCSE subjects grade C or above.

The English language requirement for international applicants depends upon whether or not you will need a Tier 4 visa to study with us.  You can see comprehensive information on our international applicants’ entry requirements page here.

Musical Entry Requirements:

The Musical Entry Requirements for our pathways with Foundation Year vary from subject-to-subject.

You can see a full breakdown of what we require for each subject in the dedicated Entry Requirements page.

Do I have to apply for the three-year BA (Hons) course once I have completed my Foundation Year?

No, on successful completion of the Foundation Year you will automatically continue onto Year One of your BA (Hons) with Foundation Year course and will not need to re-apply.

Can I apply for accommodation if I am studying a BA (Hons) with Foundation Year (4-year course)?

Yes, applicants for BA (Hons) with Foundation Year courses  should apply for accommodation as normal when the Accommodation application process opens.

You can find out what Accommodation options we recommend on our dedicated Accommodation pages, where you can also find contact details for our Accommodation team.

We hope this guide has helped you further understand our four-year courses, but if you have any questions at any information on this page or our degree courses in general, then please don't hesitate to get in touch with our Course Enquiries team by using our contact form or via email:

We are excited to return to the @fdsdramaschools & CUK Performing Arts Higher Education Training Fair at…
UoH-Logo.png (2) QAA logo Conservatoires UK logo Partner_1.png AEC logo Roland logo prs-keychange-logo_red-blue_pantone-c (fine to use).png Luminate_Education_Group_Logo (small).png