Disability Support

Support Needs Referral Form

Leeds Conservatoire is proud of its diverse population. We have many students who have dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties, autism, physical and mental health conditions, and physical or sensory impairments.

How can you help me?

The conservatoire’s student Disability Advisers will be happy to discuss your support needs to make sure that you receive the right support, adjustments, advice and guidance to help you succeed with your studies. Many students’ support needs are met through adjustments to teaching and learning, for example by having lecture notes and other materials being made available in advance of classes or extensions to assignment deadlines.

To ensure that we have the best understanding of your support needs we will require evidence of your learning difficulty, disability or impairment. This could be a GP letter, Psychologist assessment or diagnostic report. Please send any evidence to disability@leedsconservatoire.ac.uk. Please email us if you require the online referral form in an alternative format.

Evidence of your support needs can also be used to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) which may entitle you to specialist computer equipment, assistive software and specialist one to one study skills support. We can help you to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance; more information is available below.


How do I tell you that I have a disability?

During the application process there are many opportunities for you to declare your disability and the conservatoire’s Disability Advisers are always happy to discuss your individual needs and requirements at any point during your studies.

When you have accepted a place on one of our courses you can use the online referral form to tell us more about your support needs or contact us at disability@leedsconservatoire.ac.uk.

What support does the conservatoire provide for students?

Many students’ support needs are met through adjustments to teaching and learning including: 

  • Extra exam time
  • Extensions to assignment deadlines
  • Weekly study skills workshops
  • Lecture capture system
  • Teaching materials available in advance of classes
  • Audio recording of classes
  • Support from a Disability Adviser to inform tutors about how your studies might be affected and what teaching adjustments tutors need to make for you
  • There are lots of resources available to help students with their study and digital skills including planning, writing and submitting assignments
  • Support from the Health and Wellbeing team to discuss the Mental Health Support available at the conservatoire and/or signposting to external support services

Other support needs could be met through individual reasonable adjustments and Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA); our Disability Advisers can advise you about this.

Diagnostic assessment for specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia is available at the conservatoire. You will need to undertake an initial screening and the outcome of this will determine if you are eligible for a free diagnostic assessment with an educational psychologist. Contact us for more information.

What is DSA?

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is a government grant administered by Student Finance England. If you have dyslexia or another specific learning difficulty, autism, a long-term physical or mental health condition, or a physical or sensory impairment, you may be eligible. It isn’t a loan, it isn’t means-tested and you don’t have to pay it back.

DSA may entitle you to specialist computer equipment, assistive software, one to one study skills support, mentoring or help with additional travel or course-related costs. We will be happy to help you complete the application form.

You will need to provide evidence of your support needs from a doctor, educational psychologist or other similar professional to send with your application.  Your needs will then be decided by an independent assessor.  We will be able to advise you on this.

There are different arrangements if you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.  Most international students will not be eligible for DSA but you may be eligible for funding from your home country.  Contact us for details.

Further information is available on the following Student Finance websites: 

DSA overview (Student Finance England)

DSA overview (Student Finance Wales)

DSA overview (Student Finance Scotland)

DSA overview (Student Finance Northern Ireland)

Information for DSA Needs Assessors

Information for Assessors 2020-21



Information for Assessors - Postgraduate MA/PgDip Music

What is the building access like?

The conservatoire occupies modern, purpose-built premises, with lift access to all floors.  A rest room is provided for the use of anyone who needs to take medication in private, take time out to rest or relax, or when taken ill.

Contact us


We are excited to return to the @fdsdramaschools & CUK Performing Arts Higher Education Training Fair at… https://t.co/kkyOHclwCV
UoH-Logo.png (2) QAA logo Conservatoires UK logo Partner_1.png AEC logo Roland logo prs-keychange-logo_red-blue_pantone-c (fine to use).png Luminate_Education_Group_Logo (small).png